Winter in the North Thompson
Pure Winter Fun
Discover the reason that people love to call the North Thompson home. Exploring the 1.2 million acres of our white powdered playground might seem daunting, but we’ll help you figure out what to do. Chase winter adventures both new and old. Pick up an old hobby or try something you haven’t done before. Explore backcountry summits, powered by a snowmobile. Propel yourself down a mountain on skis down powdery slopes. Spend some quality time with family & friends and snowshoe or cross-country ski the un-groomed or tracked winter trails that run through your tranquil forests. Embrace your inner-Canadian and lace up your old skates for a spin on Cranberry Marsh. Untamed Canadian wilderness is everywhere here, we implore you to take advantage of it!
TOP WAYS TO PLAY IN THE SNOW IN THE NORTH THOMPSON VALLEY
- If you’re close to Sun Peaks Resort, stay active and take advantage of those 137 runs of downhill skiable terrain.
- With snowmobiling adventures in each part of our region, now is the perfect time to grip the throttle and explore areas that even you haven’t seen before!
- Valemount is home to the only sled-assisted ski hill in North America
- Cross-country your way through our snow-covered valleys, moving smoothly over stunning trails and seeing your breath in the frosty air. This is the perfect outdoor family activity.
- Hear the ice slice under your skates, with the night sky looming above as you glide the frozen waters of Cranberry Marsh in Valemount
- Let the dogs do the walking (or running!) while you sit back and enjoy the scenery dog sledding across snowy trails in Valemount
- Identify woodland animal tracks as you explore the North Thompson Valley on snowshoes in the pine-scented air
- Seek out a cabin experience nearby. Sit around a roaring campfire, a mug of marshmallow-filled hot chocolate in hand, reminiscing and connecting with friends old and new
- Sit back & relax with some ice fishing on the lakes surrounding Barriere in the Lower North Thompson Valley.
Pure wilderness, a step away from wherever you are. This is winter in the Canadian wild; iconic, unyielding with endless potential and boundless opportunities.
We Know Snow
Hunt for pristine powder and million-dollar views and ski the North Thompson Valley. Enjoy the uncrowded slopes of Sun Peaks Resort and the back-country heli-skiing found at Mike Wiegele’s Heli Ski in Blue River. Head over to the community hill of Clearwater and the power board slopes of Valemount. There’s a ski run here for every level of skier. If you’d rather glide than slide, strap on your Nordic skis and take to the winter forest. there are plenty of easy-to-access trails in every North Thompson community.
Snowmobiling is the definitive way to explore the mountains and alpine bowls throughout the North Thompson Valley come winter. There are family-friendly sledding tours in Sun Peaks and fresh powder near Barriere. Go full throttle in the Monashee and Cariboo Mountains surrounding Blue River, or gather with “sled heads” for epic riding in Valemount. Venture off the beaten path, plowing through oceans of snow or boondock through mountain forests. The backcountry trail system throughout the North Thompson Valley will leave you with endless thrills to brag about.
Warm up in Winter
Get your winter party on with fun-filled events in our snow-bound nirvana. Check with the local Visitor Centres to find out exact dates and times.